Laptops and sometimes desktop computers can have a graphics chip as well as a graphics card with dedicated memory. Games should always run on the card to make optimal use of the hardware and give you the best performance possible.
Unfortunately that doesn’t work for every game automatically. Because of this it’s recommend to set up a gaming profile for them.
Depending on whether you own a Nvidia or a AMD card, the steps to set up a gaming profile differ.
Make sure to install the newest graphics driver and the Nvidia control panel
- Right-click on your desktop and choose Nvidia control panel
- Click on Manage 3D settings
- Click on Program Settings (if not active)
- Either choose the game from the list or choose Add to change the settings.
- If the game is not listed under Add you can choose Browse and navigate to the executable of the game.
- Click Add Selected Program
- Once the list shows the correct game, choose High performance Nvidia Processor under Select the preferred graphics processor.
- Click on Apply and close the settings.
- The game should now use the graphics card.
You can also start the game through the GForce Experience. That will trigger the use of the card automatically.
AMD has two different ways to set up a gaming profile.
You can find good instructions here: